Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A lot can happen in a week…..

 

Especially when most of that week you are too sick to do anything anyway. Which is where I have been for a week. A nasty wind blew in and took me out with it. I was actually not aware that the human body was capable of holding and then expelling so much snot. I also sounded like I had smoked my whole life, and could hardly breath when the head cold decided that the real party was in my chest.

I probably would have gotten better sooner but on the second night of the head cold part a raccoon attacked my chicken coop and took out a good portion of my flock. So in cold night air I ran out with my husband to try and save them. Well I have two left of the original five that I started with. Thankfully they weren’t all killed as one of my girls, Nymeria, did not go into the night quietly by any means. If I am not mistaken I do believe some neighbors were out talking about the sound and trying to figure it out. Sadly I can tell you now that a chicken can scream. I never thought I would like a bird so much but chickens have something that others seem to lack. Or at least mine did, I loved feeding them in the morning and listening to the little clucks and squawks I would get in turn. I had tamed these girls to the point that they would let us handle them without too much of a fuss. So needless to say I was a little sad to lose so many.

I did go and buy a live trap the next day, we saw the raccoon and decided that we were setting a live trap in case he were to come back. He hasn’t yet but if he does we are ready this time around. I also am adding onto and fixing my coop so it is even harder for such a creature to get in there again.

The good news? When I was buying the trap, I got to tell the story of what happened as we live in a very small town and we still like to chat before we buy anything. Sometimes those conversations are probably the highlight of the particular workers day. So he tells me that on Monday they would be getting some chicks in and I should come by. Of course I have to, because I just lost a good chunk of my egg layers and after eating eggs from chickens that free roam my backyard I can tell you now that store bought eggs just won’t do.

Long story short? I have new chickens! So along with crafts this blog will be getting updates of my new baby chicks. It’s exciting around here!

006 012

No comments:

Post a Comment